A $500.00 award is given on the basis of financial need and musical promise in the study of the harp. The recipient will be determined by a panel appointed by the American Harp Society Foundation.
This award is a tribute to Mildred Biehn Johnson of Quakertown, Pennsylvania, a harpist and teacher whose talent and generosity have enriched the appreciation of the harp.
Application Deadline is 1 April, 2011
- Applicant must be a member of the American Harp Society.
- Application must be received by April 1, 2011.
Application Should Include
- Applicant’s full name, legal residence, present address, telephone/cell phone number, and email address.
- A brief biography which shall include musical and academic education, personal profile, general analysis of financial need and long-range career goals for experience with the harp.
- An additional hand-written statement of no more than two pages explaining why this award is desired, and why the applicant might otherwise not be able to pursue his/her immediate goals.
- A CD recording of the applicant’s playing demonstrating musical ability, (no more than 15 minutes in length.) Selections are to be free choice. The judging emphasis is on musicality, not on technical merit or length of study.
- Two letters of reference evaluating the applicant’s candidacy. One of these should be from a present or previous harp instructor. Letters from family members are not acceptable.
Application materials must be received by April 1, 2011 and should be sent to:
AHS FOUNDATION OFFICE
Mildred Biehn Johnson Award
P.O. Box 24937
Eugene, OR 97402-0444